[Openicc] colord Printing Plans, CPD and Gutenprint role of PPD

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Mon Feb 28 07:42:16 PST 2011

Hello Richard and all,
First you write "the PPD is never changed"
For the use case "Importing new settings witth assigned bundled
profiles" you write that CUPS reads the PPD file, when the printer is
connected.

This doesn´t go together in my head.. (may be I´m too dumb...)

If we have the ability to export and import driver settings with
assigned /bundled profiles, such settings will never be part of a
standard PPD. We also should be able to handle the case of several
sources, which may offer driver settings with assigned /bundled
profiles. (Imagine e.g. different media vendors offering profiles for
their media).

So for me, it is still unclear, how we handle this use case with CUPS
and colord and the printing GUI.

******
We should at least agree, if the proposed direction should be somekind
of dynamic updating of PPDs, or if handling of driver settings and
assigned / bundled profiles should be handled outside the PPD.
******

Lets imagine concentrate to speed up implementation with a PPD based
approach for describing driver settings and assigned profiles which will
be public available in distros soon.

We than discover, that updating the PPD after importing driver settings
with bundled profiles is quite complicated. Another approach where the
driver talks directly with colord would be better and will be
implemented in a second step.

After implementing the second appoach, the users will be quite
disorientated about such changes.

Best regards
Jan-Peter

--