[Openicc] colord Printing Plans, CPD and Gutenprint role of PPD

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Mon Feb 28 15:22:50 PST 2011

Hello Edmund,
My interest in this discussion is to establish a transparent workflow
for colormanagement from document ICC profile to driver setting ICC profile.

I believe, that solutions like e.g. Oyranos or colord could deliver a
communication layer between the colorsettings of the document which is
been printed and the actual printer driver setting.

I´m fed up with the color infrastructure of Mac OSX, which I´m using
since 20 years. I also don´t see that the ICC itself, will define such a
transparent color infrastructure, because obviously important ICC
members like vendors for operating systems or closed source printer
drivers have no interest to do this.

I believe, that the OpenSource community has the potential to solve this
puzzle and to create an ecosystem of printer drivers, applications and a
colormanagement framework, which could lead to similar results under
LINUX, Mac OS X and Windows (inside the ecosystem..)

I think 3 to 5 years to reach this goal is quite optimistic but possible...

On the other hand, I´m learning that taking part on OpenICC as a enduser
/ consultant is sometimes quite time consuming and leads to
missunderstandings...

E.g from my perspective, it is 100% clear, that driver settings and
assigning profiles to a driver setting is best done in the driver and
than communicated from the driver via the "color infrastructure layer"
like e.g. Oyranos or colord to the place where the color transform
takes part.

1) Create a driver setting
2) Assign a profile to the driver setting in the driver
3) make the driver setting choosable in the printing GUI (e.g. CPD, GTK+
Chooser or individual UI)
4) Deliver a mechanism, that the assigned profile of the choosed setting
is communicated via Oyranos / colord or whatever to the engine where the
color transformation from document ICC to printer ICC is done.

It seems, that I´m not able to explain or convince the developers here,
that this way makes sense...

On the other hand, the developers at OpenICC , seem to prefer some ways,
which I don´t understand
- the magic of CUPSicc...
- the magic of a fuzzy match through Oyranos

Hopefully I learn through the mailinglist, to fix the obvious
communication problems between me and the developers here...

Edmund,
Did you understand now more my interest in the discussion ?

Best regards
Jan-Peter