[Openicc] colord Printing Plans, CPD and Gutenprint role of PPD

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Tue Mar 1 07:14:09 PST 2011

Am 01.03.11 10:53, schrieb Kai-Uwe Behrmann:

>> On the other hand, the developers at OpenICC , seem to prefer some
>> ways, which I don´t understand
>> - the magic of CUPSicc...
>
> Vendors deliver already PPDs for their printers. Its straight forward
> to deploy that existing mechanism. CUPS supports it already. The
> missing glue to Ghostsript and Poppler was the according pdftoraster
> filters. This will provide a improved out of the box experience once
> canned vendor profiles are shipped with the drivers. Till, Mike and
> others have done a great job around that. It is IMO pretty useless for
> user settings as it does not support much of calibration options.
> Hence we had criticised that in the past in that context. But for
> canned profiles its simple and good enough.

I still don´t get the point:
- How are driver settings and cannend profiles are integrated into the PPD ?
- How is the UI for for the printer chooser generated through the PPD ?
- How is ensured, that the normal user can not change by chance the
driver settings in the chooser UI, leading to a mismatch of driver
setting and ICC profile ?

Thes PPD / CUPSicc concept seems still to be weak and intransparent to
me (and i´m profiling printers since more than 15 years...)

If we want to have successfil user experience for the sRGB workflow with
cannend profile, we have to find a solution for the mentioned topics and
we should write down the solution in the OpenICC wiki.

kind regards
Jan-Peter

--
----------  Please note the new adress --------------