[Openicc] colord Printing Plans, CPD and Gutenprint role of PPD

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Mar 1 13:22:51 PST 2011

This is why I think press proofing needs to be off the table for now. From my experience with this (which is somewhat limited, I think Leonard knows more about this), I'd say the following are doable in a v1.0

•	Flat color PDFs
•	RGB only, mixed color space (i.e. sRGB and Adobe RGB), with live transparency, with an RGB blend space.
•	CMYK only, single color space, live transparency, with CMYK blend space.
•	Single output intent.

If you include, in the core system, the ability to do two transforms it gets much more complicated. And to effectively proof you'd have to deal with mixed mode content, along with transparency anyway. That's is in the realm of commercial products for now, IMO.

And as for the CPD soft proof for the single *local* destination (again I'm not considering printing presses to be local printers), e.g. to my local laser printer. I'm generally opposed to simulating paper white on-screen in a print dialog. You have all sorts of surround color issues that obliterate any ability for the simulated paper white to be even remotely helpful. If anything it's harmful. The intent to display for such a "soft proof" should be RelCol no BPC. Not AbsCol.

Cloud printing is another area of exploration of the issues, and might go in a v1.0 or maybe v1.5. How must it differ from local printing? Or maybe how doesn't it differ at all? And what do the cloud printing services need to provide to integrate? Do they even give a crap? Is it all proprietary anyway?

Chris Murphy