[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Mar 1 14:46:59 PST 2011

On Mar 1, 2011, at 2:22 PM, edmund ronald wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> I assume that weak expressed PDF files can be converted to some flat colour
>> space with Ghostscript or Poppler? How many work would it be to convert
>> DeviceRGB to ICCbased?
>> User configured profiles can then be injected in the OutputIntent.
>>
> Please don't do that. If a developer generates DeviceRGB, they should
> get DeviceRGB.

There is actually no such usage case for printing on Mac OS and Windows: /DeviceRGB is always substituted by sRGB (or some other user selectable color space). You don't ever get /DeviceRGB in these cases. So since we already have a situation on two major platforms, and use expectations, even if this is not in any spec or standard, the defacto standard is /DeviceRGB is pretty much always assumed to be sRGB.