[Openicc] CUPS Color Management under Linux gets into distros

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Wed Mar 2 02:14:32 PST 2011

On Tuesday 01 March 2011, you wrote:
> On Feb 28, 2011, at 7:22 AM, Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
> > It is worth to note that for Krita, we do not consider printing as part
> > of our important features. IE, we consider that the artists job stops in
> > Krita at creating the image. He can print it on his 30€ printer, but if
> > the user is running a shop with 30000€ printers, he should use other
> > software to print the image (after drawing it with Krita, of course ;P
> > ). This is why Qt not supporting the color profile in PDF, and having to
> > convert to sRGB 8bits, is not considered a critical issue for Krita. Of
> > course, if at a latter stage, the API allows better support for color
> > profiled printing, we will make sure that Krita makes the best of them.
>
> If Krita does not do display compensation (does it?), then color itself is
> not a part of its important features either. Simply tagging the data as
> sRGB, or some other color space, is completely useless if display
> compensation isn't occurring.
We were speaking of printing, weren't we ? Krita does compensation for display
on a screen, provided that you have either set the profile in X11 or in
Krita's settings. Display a color managed picture correctly on a screen is an
important feature for Krita, printing (a color managed picture correctly or
not) on a printer is only a nice-to-have feature.

--
Cyrille Berger Skott