[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript / sRGB / ICC

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Wed Mar 2 10:18:50 PST 2011

I believe printer vendors offering non ICC based RGB drivers has one
main source:
They don´t want the users to control GCR, becuase, this would offer the
users to easily to print with less ink, or to allow easily other media.
printer vendors make their money from selling ink and nor from selling
printers...

I agree, that open source printer drivers with cannend ICC profiles have
the potential to deliver out of the box a comparable quality to closed
source drivers and open to the users much more potential usecases.

+++

The discussion on how to handle printing DeviceXXX spool data without
applied "sRGB to printer profile transformtion" is in my eyes a little
bit strange.

We only have to take care, that the pdftoraster filter can be easily
configured to print straight forward. What should not be complicated
both for GhostScript and poppler.

If we are able to transport printer specific options like e.g. duplex
options beside the PDF spool file, we should also be able to transport a
flag for turning colormanagement of in pdftoraster filter beside the PDF
spool file. I don´t see any need to integrate a "color management of
flag" directly into DeviceXXX PDF files.

best regards
Jan-Peter