[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript

Gerhard Fuernkranz nospam456 at gmx.de
Wed Mar 2 15:42:11 PST 2011

Am 03.03.2011 00:06, schrieb Chris Murphy:
> I think the print pipeline can and should handle all PDF.

And if this is granted, then you get PostScript printing almost for free
as well (either with an additional PS to PDF pre-filter, or by directly
feeding PS instead of PDF into a ghostscript-based ...toRaster filter).

The more special case is IMO PDF with OutputIntent. I'm not sure,
whether an OutputIntent (if present in the PDF) would be honored and
assumes as DefaultXXX color space by ghostscript. So either the
...toRaster filter would need to extract the OutputIntent and pass it to
ghostscript as DefaultXXX, or ghostscript would need to be enhanced so
that it (optionally?) honors the OutputIntent, overriding the built-in
DefaultXXX and the DefaultXXX given on the command line with the
OutputIntent color space.

Michael, maybe you can comment whether and how ghostscript honors an
OutputIntent present in a PDF?

Regards,
Gerhard