[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript / sRGB / ICC

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 02:12:22 PST 2011

On 3 March 2011 09:06, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> I doubt that we will be able, or only in a subset of cases. My feeling is,
> that the local print flow will soon be a corner case. And we should prepare
> to a heterougenous environment already now. Look at all those smartphones,
> tablets and so on.

In which case, the devices are *not* going to be sending
device-specific data at all. They'll hopefully be tagged PDFs where
the images are tagged with common spaces like AdobeRGB and the text is
assumed to be sRGB. In this case, the printer device that is accepting
random PDFs over WiFi or whatever will hopefully have a half decent
PPD file with a linked ICC profile in cupsICCProfile all present in
the device ROM.

In that way, we don't need embedded device profiles in the PDF, or to
install colord or oyranos. The only time we care about PDFs with
embedded output profiles, overrides and user calibrated devices is on
the "full fat" devices like PCs. Of course, I'm sure for the next
decade all mobile devices will send documents without any color
management, and we just have to assume they are sRGB, which for the
typical use case of most embedded devices[1] is probably fine.

Richard.

[1] "Print this email", "Print this conference name-badge", "Print my
boarding card", etc.