[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript / sRGB / ICC

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Mar 3 07:52:55 PST 2011

Am 03.03.11, 10:12 -0000 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 3 March 2011 09:06, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> I doubt that we will be able, or only in a subset of cases. My feeling is,
>> that the local print flow will soon be a corner case. And we should prepare
>> to a heterougenous environment already now. Look at all those smartphones,
>> tablets and so on.
>
> In which case, the devices are *not* going to be sending
> device-specific data at all. They'll hopefully be tagged PDFs where

Its not relevant how a device is connected. The key is if users want to
control how to do things. And certainly a important group wants control
and in a convenient manner.

> the images are tagged with common spaces like AdobeRGB and the text is
> assumed to be sRGB. In this case, the printer device that is accepting
> random PDFs over WiFi or whatever will hopefully have a half decent
> PPD file with a linked ICC profile in cupsICCProfile all present in
> the device ROM.

We want not only to hope, we want to control.

> In that way, we don't need embedded device profiles in the PDF, or to
> install colord or oyranos. The only time we care about PDFs with
> embedded output profiles, overrides and user calibrated devices is on
> the "full fat" devices like PCs. Of course, I'm sure for the next

Thats a artificial limit. The trend is that more and more devices are
networked. Colour management has simply to account for that.

> decade all mobile devices will send documents without any color
> management, and we just have to assume they are sRGB, which for the
> typical use case of most embedded devices[1] is probably fine.

The typical use case are healthy people in office running computers in one
of the major languages and need no colour at all. If you want to
concentrate on this user group, then strip any accessibility features and
most languages from fedora and you are done. I am sure it will economise
much of the fork on RedHat. Needless for you to talk about colour.

regards