[Openicc] CUPS Color Management under Linux gets into distros

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Mar 4 04:01:26 PST 2011

On Friday 04 March 2011, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 3/4/11, Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
>
> > Because in the current state of the printing stack it will causes more
> > harm to use the document profile. We even have people who get
> > confused because most image viewer don't use the profile and the
> > image looks different than in Krita.
>
> Tell them to use proper viewers then :)
>
> Until last week or so GIMP 2.7 mistakingly produced incorrectly tagged
> images which was very visible in Firefox. Would the solution be to
> stop using Firefox and switch to a less capable browser or to fix
> GIMP?
>
> > As I said, don't use Krita for printing. We have even being considering
> > dropping the "print" menu entry.
>
> That's a bit of overreaction, no? What exactly is the reason for that
> apart from, presumably, lack of human resources to work on printing?

To start with, it's not our vision: the end product of working with Krita is a file, not something on paper. Something you send your publisher to produce your comic, for instance. Then we don't have the expertise, nor the hardware to test our work with. And finally, since nobody on the team really needs to print, nobody has the incentive to make it work really well.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org