[Openicc] CUPS Color Management under Linux gets into distros

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 06:31:51 PST 2011

On 3/4/11, Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:

>> I mean, come on, even Audacity has simplistic printing, and it's
>> a multitrack audio editor.
> Makes me wonder what it prints :)

Sonograms are not so uncommon in applied linguistics :)

> Here is a realistict workflow:
>
> * artist paint image in "cool drawing/painting application"
> * artist send image to print worker
> * print worker print image using "cool printing application"
>
> You might even insert in the workflow:
> * artist send image to editor/layouter (not sure how about the proper name
> in
> english ;) )
> * layouter put the image in a book/newspaper/magazine using "cool layouting
> application"
> * layouter send book/newspaper/magazine to print worker

OK, point taken.

> And that last point is important, and it is why we were considering removing
> the print option. Printing is somehow related to drawing/painting. It is one
> of the possible goal of the artist work. Similary, I would find it weird if
> PhotoPrint would get a brush engine, it is not something a print worker
> needs to print the resulting images.

Now that's unfair analogy :)

>> > We even have people who get
>> > confused because most image viewer don't use the profile and the
>> > image looks different than in Krita.
>>
>> Tell them to use proper viewers then :)
>
> Is there any proper viewers other than graphics/imagemagick?

In KDE? :) Gwenview isn't color managed? Or maybe digiKam isn't color
managed? :)

Or you mean GNOME with its bundled EoG which supports reading X's ICC
atom since 2007 or so, or F-Spot that has basic color management since
2008 or 2009?

I do genuinely believe that even popular Windows apps like IrfanView
and ACDSee are color managed these days. That, of course, doesn't
cover tons of crap freeware and shareware apps that still have their
use, but then you don't have to recommend tons of apps. Pick one or
two that are known to work. Habits are habits, but if a user wants to
keep dealing with a crappy application instead of a working one, that
means he doesn't want to be educated and hence there is nothing you
can do for him.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org