[Openicc] CUPS Color Management under Linux gets into distros

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Mar 4 14:28:14 PST 2011

On Mar 4, 2011, at 3:56 AM, Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:

> I have no idea what you have put in your head... I will just state this to
> avoid anyone misinterpretting it "Krita does not remove any ICC metadata when
> saving a document".
>
> Because in the current state of the printing stack it will causes more harm to
> use the document profile. We even have people who get confused because most
> image viewer don't use the profile and the image looks different than in
> Krita.

See below, which is what has put whatever is in my head. The conversion to sRGB is a degradation of the original image that quantitatively exceeds that of a reduction in bitdepth. So I'm less concerned about the bitdepth conversion than of the color space conversion when writing out the PDF.

If all available PDF viewers are ignoring ICC profiles, and that's why you're converting to sRGB - that's a reasonable but unfortunate course of action to have to take with Krita PDFs. But then I will turn my ire to all of this crappy PDF viewers that are dropping metadata and acting as saboteurs to quality conscious workflow.

But if there is even one PDF viewer, then no app is off the hook for unnecessary conversions like this. If there is one single PDF viewer that does this correctly (and it doesn't have other higher priority fatal flaws), then that's the recommended app. All others are put on notice, they can update their apps or not, but in the meantime they are in the color fidelity malevolent category. That's a red zone. An app doing unnecessary color conversions is at least attempting to preserve MOST color appearance, so I'd put it in yellow category. But it should be green and preserve the full document color gamut.