[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript / sRGB / ICC

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Sun Mar 6 22:42:04 PST 2011

Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Mar 3, 2011, at 3:04 PM, James Cloos wrote:
>> The nearest PPD to me has:
>>
>>     Image RGB Source:    None *sRGB AdobeRGB AppleRGB ColorMatch baRGB
>>     Image RGB Intent:    Business *Picture Proof Match
>>     Text RGB Source:     None *sRGB AdobeRGB AppleRGB ColorMatch baRGB
>>     Text RGB Intent:     *Business Picture Proof Match
>>     Graphics RGB Source: None *sRGB AdobeRGB AppleRGB ColorMatch baRGB
>>     Graphics RGB Intent: *Business Picture Proof Match
>
> I'm just shaking my head...I don't have a coherent response to a PPD that
> looks like such utter bollocks.

I'm not sure why you say that. The above is a perfectly rational way of using
the existing printer control mechanisms (PPD's) to get a product that
can do what 99% of what people want, including making profiles.
It's mildly complex if you know nothing about color, but the defaults
will do reasonable things for most people, particularly in a home
or office context.

> If this is a common PPD, we have our work cut out for us on another front which is
> what options should and and should not appear in PPDs.

I've no idea why you are reacting this way. The above has been basically
"industry standard" for 10-15 years. The slightly more complex
version has "custom 1, custom 2" etc. settings, where the custom
profiles can be loading into the printer or RIP.

Typically sources that are tagged (either using PS CIE colors or
with PDF ICC profiles) will be treated the right way too.
Some even do named spot colors properly.