[Openicc] Helping with colord

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 07:04:23 PST 2011

On 7 March 2011 14:39, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> Fedora has Oyranos packaged for CinePaint.

I'm  guessing Andrzej meant by default. Also, isn't CinePaint dead upstream?

> [A undoubtedly valuable CMS for Linux like ArgyllCMS is not even
> included in the comparison. ArgyllCMS is just minimal mentioned in
> relation to the GCM profiler.]

I don't see ArgyllCMS as a CMS. It's an excellent tool we can use to
generate profiles, but it's not a component that we can, for example,
say "give me all the profiles installed on the system". But that comes
down to how you define a CMS. The ultimate example is lcms, which is
an excellent library for converting pixels and reading data from ICC
profiles, but again doesn't satisfy my definition of a CMS.

Maybe it's me that's wrong in my definition. I should perhaps start
calling colord a "Color Management Framework" as CMS as a term seems
so horribly overloaded.

> Further I heavily suspect that DBus is misused in colord as a
> replacement for proper integration in existing CMS mechanisms like PDF
> or CUPS' PPD and Xorg's atoms.

In colord, DBus is used as the transport. In Ghostscript we're
registering profiles from the PPD with colord. GCM is getting the
default monitor profile from colord and setting the _ICC_PROFILE
atoms. The fact that I'm using DBus rather than a socket is just a
trivial implementation detail.

Richard.