[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript / sRGB / ICC

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Mar 7 11:42:18 PST 2011

On Mar 6, 2011, at 11:59 PM, Graeme Gill wrote:

> Chris Murphy wrote:
>> At this moment, I'm seriously thinking PostScript devices are probably fakaked - in
>> particular the PostScript estat devices like color lasers, etc. So far what I'm reading
>> indicates there is no mechanism for bidirectional communication between a new system
>> and legacy PPD options like default RGB and CMYK spaces, intents, and text handling.
>
> I've no idea why you think that. We successfully sold a lot of proofing systems
> that used laser copiers with a PS RIP, that produced _very_ acceptable color
> output.

Ha! Yeah you insulated the user entirely from the menu system that PPD employed. You ensure that you set the printer to a "None" or "Raw" color mode that had been profiled (either custom or by manufacturer or batch for that model), prematched everything in the proofing RIP, and sent /DeviceCMYK + and off switch to the printer. The end user never saw the clusterf*ck.com PPD from the manufacturer.

That's what a good proofing RIP does. It hides the manufacturer's convoluted options. If it didn't, the user would touch one button and the behavior of the printer would conflict with the expectations/assumptions of the proofing system and they'd get junk.