[Openicc] Helping with colord

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Tue Mar 8 18:22:30 PST 2011

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 20:35:37 +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 3/8/11, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>> Am 08.03.11, 12:02 +0300 schrieb Alexandre Prokoudine:
>>> Oyranos? Not used in any software project any distribution relies on.
>>
>> Oyranos needs to convince projects.
>
> *sigh*
>
> That's another popular misconception. You don't make a successful
> project by going around and convincing people. You arrange matters in
> a way that *they* come to you and drool at your doorstep begging and
> wagging their tails.

Agreed, particularly for infrastructure projects.  For applications
you can sometimes do things that appeal to a few people and push them;
for infrastructure projects, it has to solve a common problem
particularly well.

>> Any distributions can ship Oyranos already for that.
>
> Any distribution that wants extra work, because packaging Oyranos and
> related apps is reportedly PITA.

And yes, that's the other key point: it has to be easy to build,
install, and use.  We've put a lot of work into ensuring Gutenprint
will build easily on any POSIX-type operating system with minimal
requirements, and we've taken a few extra steps to identify missing
components (e. g. if you think you have CUPS installed but don't have
the CUPS development package, it calls it out).  I like to think we've
kept Gutenprint on the trailing edge of system requirements.

--Eric Crampton