[Openicc] VMs and display correcotions

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Mar 9 02:18:23 PST 2011

On Mar 9, 2011, at 2:56 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:

> On 9 March 2011 07:54, edmund ronald <edmundronald at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Are we agreed that if we run a VM on a vaguely sane modern Mac or PC
>> default configuration (no special screen so roughly sRGB) untagged
>> files in Linux apps will map directly on to the screen ie. into sRGB?
>
> If we're using a profile on the host machine with a VCGT tag, then
> this will surely affect the VM too. When I'm using qemu I make sure my
> guests have the same icc profile assigned as the host, as changing the
> gamma on the emulated video device doesn't seem to do anything.

I think that's a good way to do it. Display profile in common between host and guest, vcgt ignored by guest, honored by host. There are other combinations possible but I think that's the most sensible, off hand.

With respect to remote display of VM guests, my question is how this virtual display is managed. That might be VM implementation specific. If each remote display instance is as if the guest OS has different displays attached, then those remote displays should inherit the display profile for the display the remote display window is drawn on. If each remote display instance is based on some (fixed) virtual device defined by the guest or the host VM server...well, that's a problem it seems.