[Openicc] VMs and display correcotions

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 03:09:49 PST 2011

On 9 March 2011 10:54, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
> Certainly in the case of Windows (hosts and guests) that whole paradigm is defaulting to sRGB which is the same as /DeviceRGB. So there is no conversion.

Right, in this instance sRGB is used as "we haven't thought about it
yet" I guess.

> Is it typically just another copy of that VM software and a VNC like connection is established?

Yes, I think for most part VNC is the connection protocol between the
host and the guest. I know VMWare has a DRI-type interface for the
guest, and I'm pretty sure Red Hat are working on something similar so
acceleration can work.

> So that calls for the guest apps being aware of the wide gamut display's behavior and doing display compensation. Which then does a pass through to the host's display (or remote display) - problem is those apps are platform specific and need to be made aware of how those OS's behave which are all different.

Right, non-Linux it become a can-of-worms.

Richard.