[Openicc] Helping with colord

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 06:37:54 PST 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

>> However the default configuration tool is nowhere close to being OK
>> for either GNOME or KDE, and exactly how much useful is Oyranos
>> without a configuration front-end?
>
> This is a comparision of apples and oranges. Kolor Manager designed to
> integrate into KDE. That is compareable to GCM.

Designed - yes. Available to mere mortals - no. What is your point again? :)

>>> Compared, can colord be build without a sql data base? I guess no.
>>
>> I wonder if you are up to date regarding modern desktops. Both KDE and
>
> The desktop is one important part in the design of Oyranos. However its not
> the only one. So your argument is misplaced.

*sigh* Think whatever you choose to think

>> GNOME rely on SQL because of the thing called semantic desktop (not
>> mentioning music players shipped by default), and sqlite is available
>> in virtually any Linux distribution whose developer isn't some sort of
>> geek who needs only console and ratposion-like WM configured via text
>> files in nano.
>
> You compare apples with oranges again.

So you are not admitting again :)

>>> Does the KDE or Gnome desktop work without a configuration library? No.
>>> Why do you want, that Oyranos shall store its configuration data in the
>>> blue.
>>
>> I never said that.
>
> Yes, you purely complained about what Oyranos uses without providing any
> suggestion.

This, Kai-Uwe, is what I refer to as "jumping at conclusions". You are
trying to fill gaps with misconceptions. Spending time on stopping you
from assigning me thoughts I never expressed is a rather pointless
activity.

> My personal impression is you act upon a maxim alike:
> "Alexandre is infallible and always right."

I act upon a maxim "How about you make an effort to see things the way
users see them?". It must be quite nice -- meditating on top of a
color management mountain. But every once in a while you still need a
bowl of rice and tea with yak butter. That means dealing with mere
mortals, and it isn't so difficult -- I assure you :)

>> Yes, I'm quite missing a KDE representative round here. I mean, does KDE
>> know?
>
> Uch, no one from KDE here? Do you read the names of the posters.

That still doesn't answer the question :)

>>> At the moment I see confronted with the repeated spreading of false
>>> statements about Oyranos and dependent projects.
>>
>> No statement of mine has proven to be false so far. But the fact that
>
> It seems you are intangible.

Oh, I'm quite real. A bit skinny, but far from being a ghost.

>> Because there is no other configuration tool for Oyranos that would be
>> ok for either of existing desktops. All we have is KM not being used
>
> Hmm, and colord has a KDE front end already?

I don't see a reason why it couldn't appear. In fact, I think colord
should be a freedesktop project if it isn't yet.

> I guess thats a apples and oranges comparision again.

You seem to be hot on apples and oranges. How about you just go and
make a fruit salad for yourself? :) Honestly, you gave me so many
vitamins in one go that I'll have half of my hair lost by tomorrow
morning.

>> upstream and a new project that has zero pushes in git repo as of this
>> morning.
>
> It was just an annoucement of a new project. I am pretty sure it will be
> much more relyable than GCM today once it is released.

There goes defensive reaction again despite of no attack.

>> 10.04, GCM 2.30, never crashed, never shown incorrect data (apart from
>> weird loooking description tag generated by early releases). Granted,
>> no software is bugfree. Did you log any reports into bugzilla, or is
>
> Display a Cmyk profile in GCM 2.30.0-ubuntu3 and GCM crashes. Thats on
> 10.04.

Nope. Can't reproduce. That it sadly doesn't render horseshoe diagram
and gamut (no code for that) -- yes. But crashing -- no way.

>> it a rhetoric question? Likewise, what bug tracker are Oyranos, KM and
>
> A top link on http://www.oyranos.org points now to "Support".
>
>> Cinepaint users supposed to use?
>
> I am not a member of the CinePaint team. I am not part of the official
> project. Please refere to their web site, mailing lists and usual places.

Ah, finally we got to the bottom of that. Thank you.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org