[Openicc] VMs and display correcotions

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Wed Mar 9 12:34:06 PST 2011

Chris Murphy wrote:
> I think that's a good way to do it. Display profile in common between host and guest,
> vcgt ignored by guest, honored by host. There are other combinations possible but I
> think that's the most sensible, off hand.

I don't see how that works in general. The host is meant to be providing
an invisible virtual environment, so it is the component that should be
doing nothing, leaving the guest with the illusion that it is talking to
the real hardware, and doing the color management. Expecting the guest to
be VM aware and change its behaviour is defeating the purpose of a VM,
whereas the host knows it is a host OS.