[Openicc] VMs and display correcotions

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Mar 9 15:37:15 PST 2011

On Mar 9, 2011, at 1:57 PM, Graeme Gill wrote:

> Stefan Döhla wrote:
>> If LUT changes happened, the display's EDID is no more valid. Hence, a
>> new one would have to be generated by the VM - or the same profile be
>> simply used within the VM (knowing that it's currently not possible to
>> do LUT changes there again) ...
>
> That way lies madness. Presumably the EDID represents the display behaviour,
> not the combined graphics card and display behaviour, so changing VideoLUTs
> should certainly _not_ change the EDID display values.

Well, if the LUT we are talking about is the video card LUT I agree with you. If the LUT is in the actual physical display itself, certain if it changes itself from an Adobe RGB (1998) to sRGB display, then yes it should change EDID. In fact we kinda need a DDCI announcement to the system that this has occurred! I don't think we have such a messaging system right now.

In any event EDID primaries are x,y. So video card LUT changes do not change these values. Whereas a simulation of a different gamut absolutely does.