[Openicc] VMs and display correcotions

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Mar 10 01:38:49 PST 2011

On Mar 10, 2011, at 1:19 AM, Stefan Döhla wrote:

> Am 09.03.2011 21:57, schrieb Graeme Gill:
>> Stefan Döhla wrote:
>>> If LUT changes happened, the display's EDID is no more valid. Hence, a
>>> new one would have to be generated by the VM - or the same profile be
>>> simply used within the VM (knowing that it's currently not possible to
>>> do LUT changes there again) ...
>>
>> That way lies madness. Presumably the EDID represents the display behaviour,
>> not the combined graphics card and display behaviour, so changing VideoLUTs
>> should certainly _not_ change the EDID display values.
>
> Well, to the VM the combined display + graphics card behavior appears as the current display behavior. So the reported EDID to the the VM - in my understanding at least - represents the display connected to the VM (not to the host system). I agree that the change for building a profile within the VM would probably be rather subtle.

I am running Mac OS X 10.6.6 with two displays that the system has produced EDID based profiles for. However, VirtualBox 4.04 I don't think is passing this onto Fedora 14. Gnome Color Manager reports the one display (since the VM software is set for only two virtual displays) as Unknown Monitor and "Per-device settings not support. Check your display driver."

In my case the guest OS (Fedora) running on host OS (Mac OS) without remote display or VNC.

I'm not sure what the equivalent on Linux is to ioreg on Mac OS but on Mac OS:

ioreg -l w 0 | grep "EDID"

gets me two strings of encoded data about the two displays attached.