[Openicc] OpenICC GSoC 2011 ideas / driver setup to profile match

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Tue Mar 29 02:57:48 PDT 2011

Hello all,
A printer profile represents a driver setup. From the user experience,
we have following workflow:
- define a driver setup
- print a testchart with "No Colormanagement" option in the print chain
- associate the printer profile with the driver setup.

During daily production, the user first chooses the driver setup he
wants to print and then the profile matching this driver setup should
been automatically choosed.

Do realize this, I see following possibilities:

1) Create virtual CUPS printers for every driver setup
This solution could easily be implemented with colord / GCM and Oyranos
as they are available today
This way could also be used with every kind of driver (e.g. Gutenprint,
drivers of printer vendors etc...)

2) Usage of cupsICC approach
The driver setups are organized in a way, that the user sees in the
printing GUI only the selectors compatible with cupsICC definition (e.g.
mediatype and resolution), the user has no possibility (or only with bi
warnings !!) to change specific driver parameters.
The CMM framework uses than cupsICC to identify the matching profile for
the driver setup

3) Making the profile the master for the driver setup
During profilecreation, all driver setup-parameters are integrated as
metadata into the printer profile.
In the printing GUI, there is no possibility for the user to change
driver setup parameters. He only sees a list of available profiles for
the printer. Optional: After choosing a profile, the user sees additonal
informations about driver setup parameters.
After choosing the profile in the printing GUI, the driver is setup
automatically
For realizing this, we have to specify / develop
- a place for driver specific metadata in ICC profile
- a way for presenting profiles in the printing GUI
- a way for the driver to know which profile have been choosed in the
printing GUI
- an update for the driver to extract the metadata information from the
profile.

4) Fuzzy Match approach
During profilecreation, all driver setup-parameters are integrated as
metadata into the printer profile.
The user chooses the driver parameters as they are presented in the
printing GUI.
The CMM Framework compares the driver parameters with a available
printer profiles and does a fuzzy match for the best profile.
In this workflow, the driver vendor has to be carefully,
- which driver parameters are presented to the user
- And how are internal driver parameters are organized.
- Whic driver parameters are used for the fuzzy match
E.g changing only the parameter for resolution can drastically change
color results of the print out.
But if e.g. every resolution has his own ink limit and per channel
linearization, the color results for differnt resolutions can (!!!) be
made quite similar.
Please note that individual driver parameters for resolution, inklimit
and per channel linearization must be different, for leading to similar
color results. This is contrary to a fuzzy match approach based on all
individual driver parameters.
A fuzzy match indeed makes sense, when it is based on calibration
targets for a driver setup. But for doing this we need metadata, that
specific groups of driver parameters have been setup to match a specific
calibration target...

5) conclusion
We have quite different technical approaches to organize the matching
process of driver setups and printer profiles. Approach 1) needs no
programming work. Approach 2) is more a question how the driver
paramters are grouped and presented in the printing GUI and how the
printing GUI is supporting cupsICC.
Approach 3) could may be realized in a GSoc project, but would may need
two mentors for a) ICC-profile and CMM framework aspects and b) the
driver aspects to extract the metadata through the CMM framework.
Approach 4) needs parts of approach 3) with addition of integration of
calibration metadata in the process.