[Openicc] Colour Management future

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Apr 1 01:57:29 PDT 2011

Hello all,

after the recent announcements of Microsoft and Apple for a joint
open source colour management system (code name Longhorn), both companies
announced today to have supplied patches for the Canterbury Distribution
kernel to integrate the CMS deeply into the operating system. The
statements mention the goal of common colour appearance in VMs, trade
shows and heterogenous computer cabinets like in universities. Linus
Torwalds signaled already to look positively over the supplied patches to
integrate them into the upstream kernel source tree too.

To be honest, I am afraid, the fact that Longhorn is not based on ICC at
all, we must ask if the OpenICC group has a further chance to contribute
anything useful if it keeps the old title.
As the ICC standard appears now be obsoleted in large parts of the
industry, I suggest to rename this email list in the near future.
Personally I would go with "OpenWCS". More ideas are of course welcome.

"ICC to WCS Conversion Utility"
As a first step I added a proposal to the GSoC page to provide a
conversation layer for lcms and thus ICC based applications, like
Ghostscript, Inkscape, Scribus and so on.
A second project to integrate the new kernel interfaces into KDE and Gnome
will be added as soon as possible. IMO these integration projects will
have priority.

www.freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenIcc