[Openicc] Manual profiling

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 08:33:41 PDT 2011

In gnome-color-manager I've got quite a bit of semi-working code to
performing manual display profiling, i.e. asking the user to stare at
the mid-gray box and get them to adjust sliders until the gamma looks
correct. We ask them to do this 10 times, and interpolate the rest
from that. This has never worked very well for me at all, and I've
never managed to get a successful profile out of it. Even asking the
user for the desired whitepoint and using the factory-present edid
primaries seems to work better.

I'm now at the point of planning for GNOME 3.2, and I've not decided
if I should "rip it out" or "spend lots of time on it to make it
work".

Your advice please: Is manual profiling useful for people too poor for
a hardware calibration device or is worse than useless?

Thanks,

Richard.