[Openicc] Named color profiles

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Mon Apr 11 02:04:30 PDT 2011

Hello Richard,
Beside the technical discussion with Chris and Graeme, I want give some
input from workflow perspective.
Named color profiles can be used to describe color palettes in a
device-independent format.
In the commercial applications area, more or less every programm uses
his own file-format for color palettes.
Also the market leader Pantone / X-Rite has a licensind model, that
every vendor of an app dealing with Pantone color palettes has to do a
buy an individual pantone licence.

 From an Open-Source standpoint, it would make a lot of sense, if ICC
named color profiles support in GCM are synchronized with open firle
formats for color palettes. I think we had a discussion about
colorpalettes in the openICC mailinglist some years ago...

A second approach is the usage of CxFv3. This is XML-format from XRite
for communicating color mesurement values and color palettes, which may
become an ISO standard in future.
In the past, the licensing politic of XRite was incompatible with Linux...

I will write to XRite to get further informations about CxFv3 and post
the results here, if XRite don´t response to OpenICC mailinglist directly.

Best regards
Jan-Peter