[Openicc] Changing the display whitepoint using the VCGT

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Apr 26 15:27:43 PDT 2011

I'm guessing you mean more like 6000K+ whites if it's bluish, or 7000K whites if very bluish. 5000K is "yellowish" to most people.

I would categorize vcgt adjustment of the white point "unfortunate" but also a reality if it needs to be changed, that's your only option on these displays. Ideally the panel manufacturer would use analog adjustments to ensure a reasonable white point for the panel+backlight source used, so that video card LUT adjustment needed it minimal. So I'd say maybe not do it by default because humans do have a chromatic adaptation feature, but keep it as an option for those who expressly ask for white point adjustment? If you pull back on the blue channel, for example, you get a better white point, but then also get a luminance drop. And that luminance drop can be significant and a worse effect than a non-ideal white point.

But I think it's going to depend on the display. I look at my new Macbook Pro 2011 (high res matte screen) with a non-linear vcgt produced by the OS, which is something only Apple would know how to do, and with another profile that has a linear vcgt. With the linear vcgt the display is distinctly blue. I don't know that I'd adjust to this, maybe after a day or a week? Certainly not in a few minutes trying it out. The white point is OK, but tones below the white point (grays) are definitely very blue.

I don't know why Apple does it this way, rather than analog adjustments to the panel to make the entire TRC relatively neutral.

Chris