[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and Color Management

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Sun May 1 14:04:56 PDT 2011

Hallo Robert,
Thanks for your response. I will try to explain more in detail my approach:
For a color managed print output, it is necessary to synchronize media /
driver settings and ICC-profiles valid for the media / driver setting.

For pofessional RIP solutions, is is normals to create printing queues
with different media / driver settings and to define the output profile
as part of the queue configuration.

For a CPD based workflow we need a mechanism to synchronize media /
driver settings for following use cases:
- driver vendor provides profiles in the standard installation
- media vendor provides standard profiles for his media for a given driver
- profiling service offers profiles based on printed testcharts
- user is makes his own profiles

Technically this could be solved in two way
1) Export and Import of medie / driver settings with an attached ICC-profile
- The driver must allow to createand export  a media / driver setting
with an assigned profile for each setting
- During import of such a setting incl ICC, the consistency between
driver setting a profile is guaranteed.

2) Integrating the driver setting into the ICC-profil through ICC
dictType Metadata Registry
- In this case, the driver must be able to be setup through one file,
which can be driver specific.
If Gutenprint can be setup by such a file, the Gutenprint-Team can
register a Gutenprint specific dictType Metadata Registry entry at the ICC.
- We than need a mechanism to integrate the Gutenprint dictType entry
into a printer profile through e.g. Oyranos, g-c-m / colord, ArgyllCMS
or other tools.
- The CUPS xxxtoRaster filters need the possibility to embed the
outputprofile into the raster-file for the driver
- the driver needs the possibility to read the embedded profile from the
raster-file and extract the dictTyp entry for automatic setup of the driver.
****

 From my perspective approach 2) - ICC dictType is more universal and
smart compared to echange of vendor specific driver setups with assigned
ICC profiles. It can espcially combined with all main scenarios of
colormanagement in the printing chain:

2a) application based printer colormanagement
The printer-profile is configured in the application and the application
delivers prematched raster-data for the printer. This is. eg.g the case
with Inkscape today.
The only enhancement the Inkscape team has to do, would be to embedd the
printer profile in the raster-file fro the printer, which is a quite
simple task.

2b) OS based printer colormanagement
Under LINUX this handled through cupsICC and different xx_to_Raster
filters like e.g. GhostScript or Poppler. The main task here would be to
embedd the printer profile in the raster-file fro the printer, which is
a quite simple task.

2c) driver based colormanagement
In this case the driver allows to create printing queues with setups
bith for a source an target profile. The user has one GUI for driver
configuration and queue / colormanagement setup. CUPS does only
rasterization and no color transformations.

2d) Usage of a colormanagement framework like e.g. Oyranos or colord / g-c-m
As the profile to device match is encoded into the profile itself, the
usage of Oyranos or colord/g-c-m is simplified for the printing path.

I would be very glad if the GoogleSoc project could implement the
dictType approach based on Gutenprint.

As I´m a member of the ICC, I would take care, that the Gutenprint
dictType Metadata will be registerred at the ICC.

Best regards
Jan-Peter

--
----------  Please note the new adress --------------