[Openicc] Color Management for Ubuntu

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Tue May 3 16:17:08 PDT 2011

Ann,

On 5/4/11, Ann McCarthy <almccart at lexmark.com> wrote:
> It would help quite a bit for the discussion if you could come down off of
> your high horse Edmund.
> There was no hint of 'we know best' -- only a proposed approach.
>
> Your statement that you are "working in devicespace, and do not have a
> profile in place on the system for the device being tested." is curious.

 I think you understand very well that I may have one or several
profile(s) available in my filesystem for conversion without one being
having one placed in the printpath. This is typical of what happens
when printing intending to print on the same sheet composite files
assembled using multiple profiles.

> Please explain how you can be "working in device space" in which I gather
> you are viewing some kind of print representation on a display - yet you do
> not have a profile for the print system which would be necessary for
> rendering the print space content to a display? Perhaps if you described
> more of your workflow ...

As above.

> I am not surprised that you have direct experience with vendors who
> expressly intend to make color management and profile use hard. My intention
> is that color management should be clear and simple, as complicated as
> necessary and not one stitch more. In order to get there, users such as
> yourself have to be willing to describe their abstracted workflow
> requirements, not mired in the muck of workarounds they have previously been
> forced into by current system limitations.

Seamless workflow certainly interests you,  I believe you fully
represent it as you founded an ICC WG which would like to achieve
this.

Maybe you could explain to us on list how come PictBridge works, as it
seems to produce very good straight-from-camera images?

Edmund