[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed May 4 16:02:58 PDT 2011

On May 4, 2011, at 12:11 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> The target print tools are especially suggested to not interefere with the CPD GUI.
> How could a print target function integrate into CPD without irritating users?

I agree. I'm leery of subjecting every application and user to seeing a "no color management" or "no color transform" option in every dialog, even if it's an expandable dialog that does not show the option by default. I think this is in the realm of special applications.

This mentality I sometimes see in Linux that users want to go to a Chinese-Indian-Ethiopian-Texas BBQ buffet at the exact same time for lunch is just ... I don't know really how to say it. It seems insane to me like therapy or drugs are required to stop it from happening. It is really an unpleasant experience when it happens.

I have no issue creating a very extended CPD that has a 51 countries lunch buffet in it, but I think the application developer should be the one to enable them, with some reasonable granularity provided to them. I don't think this is user domain at all. Users can make a feature request with the developer and the developer can decide if this is in the best interest of their project and their users to enable it or not. Simply because something can be done does not mean it should.

I am momentarily very gratified that in Fedora 15/Gnome 3 to see that there are no longer three different network related panels, for this same reason. That really got my goat. More is not better.