[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri May 6 19:34:06 PDT 2011

On May 6, 2011, at 1:46 PM, edmund ronald wrote:

> Dear Chris -
>
>  You think the current Gutenprint interface is awful? Well, we quite understand that this situation should not be inflicted on the saintly angels who come to use our free software out of the goodness of their hearts.

I refuse the premise that free software provides immunity from criticism. A free mall bus does not provide an exemption from either criticism or responsibility to the customer (or in this case end-user). It is possible for software design to cause injury.

>  However, the dictators of the computing proletariat have a plan for world domination: Users of color managed printing will be offered the color/bw and paper choice in the "simple" tab, I expect. Not because we love our users so much that we want to simplify their lives, but just because a profile is only valid in the conditions it was made. Tinkerers and color consultants  who open the hood of the car and dive into the steaming mechanical entrails deserve ... what they get :)

This is a car where the steering wheel is in the backseat, the engine is on the passenger seat, in order to avoid my fingers getting chopped off I have to be very careful shifting because the gear shift is exactly where one would expect, yet a mere 4" from a rotating fan belt.