[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri May 6 20:02:24 PDT 2011

On May 6, 2011, at 8:16 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:

> And it means that if I do want to use those options I have to somehow
> export it to that special application and hope nothing goes wrong
> along the way, in addition to requiring a clumsy extra step.  I just
> think that that's the wrong design point.

No the application is what would show the complex UI for all options, and exports the preset in the proper format, in the proper location, and the preset appears in the CPD, rather than the CPD's options/extended panel being ludicrously cluttered. The CPD already has to do the right thing along the way, if it does the wrong thing when the user chooses all of these options, something will go wrong. It's no different with a utility application.

I don't understand how a separate application that a tiny percent of users will even use is clumsy and an extra step, but you're willing to subject hundreds of thousands or millions of users to sift through options that will never pertain to them, and that's somehow now not clumsy and not an extra step (times thousands or millions). These options are not like water, it's more like mace. Very useful for a small percent of the population in specific situations (e.g. squirrels in the bird feeder, neighbor's cat crapping in my yard, etc), for everyone else to be subjected to mace on a regular basis would create a very irritable population, and they will try to do whatever they can within reason to avoid the experience. This is not irrational. Subjecting them to it in the first place is what's irrational. So I'm hoping the CPD hides most features of Gutenprint drivers by default. And I think it should hide esoteric color management options by default also.

*shrug*