[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed May 11 18:06:12 PDT 2011

On May 11, 2011, at 5:51 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:

> On May 11, 2011, at 4:37 PM, Graeme Gill wrote:
>> Richard Hughes wrote:
>>> wanted. I really don't think we want to let the user to manually
>>> select a printer profile in any UI for the same reasons as I recently
>>> wrote to this mailing list.
>>
>> This would seem to lead to a frustrating situation where there
>> is poor visibility over what's going on (ie. what profile is
>> being used), and no means to experiment, diagnose or correct it
>> if it's not working as expected.
>

> This is where you could have UI to show all of the print job settings including the device profile that will be used (if any). In Mac OS X we have the "Summary" pane...

The summary's limited scope means it regularly fails to inform the user what's going to happen. Setting aside any complaints about malformed print drivers doing the wrong thing, the UI will tell me that ColorSync is going to be used when it certainly should not be, and also tells me it will be used when it isn't. So I find the Color Matching summary to be intermittently misleading and thus useless.

For example: When printing from Photoshop CS5 with "Photoshop Manages Colors" to an Epson 3880, which has a properly behaving driver, this is an image "prematching" workflow. Yet the print job Summary panel for Color Matching says the value is ColorSync. This is clearly somewhere between misleading and wrong.

The same behavior happens with the Adobe Color Printing Utility, which was expressly made to prevent ColorSync (or application color management) from affecting ICC profiling targets. Yet again, the Color Matching value is set to ColorSync in the Summary panel.

Useless to dangerous.