[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu May 12 19:26:03 PDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 7:54 PM, edmund ronald wrote:

> It is a suggestion consistent with only certain apps should be able to play poker. I do not believe card game functionality belongs in the print dialog either. There is no good reason why LibreOffice's print dialog needs to be cluttered with near total insanity of options that not one single person in their right mind would choose.
>
> Absolutely. And by this logic Apple has no more obligation to provide an app for printing targets than to provide one for playing Solitaire.

Choosing an opt out system *and* failing to put an option in the print dialog places the burden on Apple to provide both an API and a utility, in my view. Unless, of course, the idea is to kill custom ICC profile based workflows or make them so exceedingly difficult that people start to question their choice in platform.

> >  Mike has made a very nice printing system that can just about print anything except a target.
>
> The problems on Mac OS X with respect to target printing predate CUPS, and predate Michael's involvement in architecture.
>
> I do think that the OS X 10.5 system worked very well, and so does 10.6. AFAIK Cups was always used, and I think It's a nice solid piece of software. Michael did a large part of CUPS. The only thing I dislike about it, for some reason it has issues with targets :)

You have said this before and I know I've corrected this notion numerous times. It (CUPS) does not have issues with profile targets. The problem pre-dates CUPS. The problem happened with Tioga drivers before CUPS was part of Mac OS X. The problem with targets involves Quartz 2D, Quartz PDF Context and ColorSync - components that are not at all part of CUPS.

> >  I say that if you really want to print targets you are welcome to write an app to print targets, as it's pretty clear that otherwise you won't get one :)
>
> No I'm saying the advocates and programmers of an opt-out color management system are obligated to provide both an app and API for opting out. Simple
>

> Apple did not do this. And I'm saying the open source Linux distros need to consider very carefully the ramifications of opt-in vs opt-out and the baggage they're going to inherit no mater if the opt out mechanism is application based, API based, or CPD based. All if it will have to be maintained to avoid problems.
>

> They have provided a way to opt out. But they consider that it is too confusing for this functionality is too confusing for normal developers who do not understand color, just as you consider that the use of this functionality is too confusing for normal users. So if you can get them to accept that you are smart enough and know enough about color to be allowed to disable CM, they will tell you. I tried, but I got nowhere, but then I never made the claim of being smart or of understanding color. So there! I have failed to get the info, so it's up to you to write that target printing app for Gutenprint :)

I'm not the one advocating an opt-out based color management system. It might be prudent to consider a transitional opt-in system.