[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri May 13 14:51:45 PDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 10:56 PM, Graeme Gill wrote:

> Chris Murphy wrote:
>> All of the single target ICC profiling apps produce a static target. In effect it's
>> always canned unless it has some iterative function where it can sample the device's
>> basic behavior first, then produce a device specific custom target.
>
> But even then you most likely end up with a raster file (format of your
> choice) that you get to print using the application of your choice.

On both Mac OS and Windows it's always been best practices, until recently, to print targets from Photoshop with No Color Management, or directly from the profile generation app (e.g. ColorMuni or Eye One Match). It is NOT best practices to do it with a web browser, or a word processing application. I don't even test that workflow, I would never recommend it, I do not expect that it should work correctly. Those apps have nothing to do with custom profiling at all. I completely disagree with the idea that every app should have the ability to print profile targets. It's one tenth of one percent of the market.

Chris