[Openicc] PDF and rendering intents

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri May 13 19:12:50 PDT 2011

I am wondering from anyone, but most likely Leonard, what the various PDF specs require in terms of rendering intent handling. I know the rendering intent can be set in the PDF itself but the questions are:

1. What is Default? For example InDesign has a Default rendering intent option per object, but what is the default? Does this mean "defer to RIP's settings?" Or the application default for that object type? Or is there a default intent in a spec somewhere?

2. Are RIPs required to honor the intent setting in the PDFs, or are they just suggestions? Or is it context specific? (Suggestion for PDF, but required for PDF/X?)

I ask because I see many RIPs that support PDF documents apply their own rendering intent settings but the UI makes it ambiguous whether the RIP settings override the PDF, or the PDF object intent overrides the RIP, but in practice it appears the RIP settings always have an affect.