[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and target printing (Michael Sweet)

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sat May 14 15:28:09 PDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 11:08 PM, Scott Geffert wrote:

> To those that want to remove UI elements like a "none" setting for printing charts you are completely off base period.

Ridiculous conjecture and unsupportable in fact. There is no such thing now in any print dialog on any platform, nor has there ever been, and yet no one gave birth to a bovine about it until recently.

It is a significant problem for discoverable UI to insert a "disable ICC based transform" option in a print dialog to mean that a printed test chart is certifiably output without any ICC color transform. A requirement for a valid test chart is that it has not been subject to transforms upstream, only the ones required for linearization/calibration or black box LUTs that we can't turn off.

A disable ICC transform option in a print dialog can only mean disabled in the context of the print pipeline, it cannot ensure upstream conversions have not occurred. We need the latter as well or the test chart is questionable (or useless). An option in a print dialog is inadequate. Printing test charts is a special use case, and should have a known reliable application specific to the task that uses a published and tested API that anyone else can use as well.

> There is not a user I know that would have a problem with the word "none" or "off" in an ICC color dialog, or digital raw processor color dialog. It's not very forward thinking or innovative to remove control from the user.

It's not very forward thinking or innovative to lie to the user either.

> Every week I run into this problem and every night I come home to read more of the trouble online. In any case, these problems are as real as can be, and the costs and pain are mounting daily. If Apple laid out a clear strategy to re-embrace "classic" ICC universal UI guidelines including and off switch, A big negative could become a huge positive!

Numerous collisions of logic are required to arrive at this conclusion.