[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and ... Mike Sweet workflow

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun May 15 21:54:51 PDT 2011

On May 15, 2011, at 9:02 PM, Graeme Gill wrote:

> Chris Murphy wrote:
>> I definitely don't want to see users printing targets from OpenOffice. It's completely
>> unreasonable to assume some random application does not implement color management
>> internally, regardless of what a CPD says is happening.
>
> True, but this is exactly the point. If the color processing for each
> application is different and inscrutable, how can a test chart be
> reliably printed from any application ?

I don't listen to music files with Photoshop, or LibreOffice, or TextEdit. Apps have purpose, I use them for their intended purpose.

> In contrast, if the standard print processing and print dialogs
> have a standard and routinely tested method for printing
> in device space, then any and every application could be used
> for reliably printing a test target.

This is an assumption. You can't actually know this is true without testing it first.

There could be a mandate that any and every application doesn't do an upstream conversion prior to submission of the target to the print pipeline, but you'd then have to somehow create system induced booby trap to make any such application implode at launch as an indicator that it was unreliable and printing profile targets.

Otherwise you need a published matrix of apps that work according to the mandate of non-conversion prior to submission to the print pipeline, and those that don't.

I dunno but I think maintaining an API and one reference app is way, way easier than this.