[Openicc] Google Summer of Code 2011: The Common Printing Dialog and Color Management

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon May 16 08:51:15 PDT 2011

On May 16, 2011, at 6:12 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 15 May 2011 21:54, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
>> Hmm, that's different than I remember when you originally submitted your patches; sounds like we should be using DISK to be consistent with the semantics of ColorSync WRT cupsd...
>
> I didn't know how ColorSync did things. Could you quickly describe (or
> point me to somewhere that does) how ColorSync and CUPS interact
> please? Thanks.

Sadly it looks like updated ColorSync documentation has not yet been posted (filing a bug for that now...), but you can view the current (out of date) documentation on developer.apple.com - just search for ColorSync.

Basically ColorSync includes a service that tracks all of the persistent ICC profiles used on the system - what colord apparently does for DISK scope - as well as the usual temporary/process-level profiles created by applications or loaded from embedded profiles in image or PDF files.

All of the profile loading and transforms are done in-process. Profile selection is done in the print dialog (generally automatically) or in the cgpdftoraster and cgpdftops filters (for direct submission, e.g. command-line) based on information in the PPD file (for auto-selection) or user option (for manual selection). Profiles are added manually using the ColorSync Utility application.