[Openicc] PDF srgb Workflow

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue May 17 00:25:53 PDT 2011

Am 16.05.11, 10:36 +0200 schrieb Jan-Peter Homann:
> Hello all,
> In past discussions some people stated, that a colormanagement print
> pipeline can´t work with DeviceRGB PDF files and needs instead ICCbased RGB.

Thats the most recommended way.

> From may point of view, the question depends on the possibilities of
> the pdftoraster engine. So far as I understand, poppler can´t transform
> DeviceRGB objects from sRGB to a printer profile.
>
> But with GhostScript, this can easily eached by activating
> ICC-colormanagement for DeviceRGB objects and use the GhostScript
> default sRGB profile for this usecase.

As long as this along how osX and Windows handle things it makes sense.
However, the PDF OutputIntent should override this behaviour in any way,
so that we preserve a robust target printing and application side colour
management path.

> As this GhostScript-option doesn´t has side effects for ICC-based
> content in PDF print spool files, we can start a color managed printing
> path with the print spool files produced by the vast majority aoff
> applications.
>
> Concerning a poppler based workflow, I recommend to enhance poppler with
> this similar feature of GhostScript.
> If g-c-m or Oyranos could either adress GhostScript or poppler in a
> similar way to provide the printer profile, we are mostly done.

For Oyranos I suggested to provide the ICC profile through the
OutputIntent. As vendor profile remains the cupsICCProfile PPD specified
one. [1]

[1] http://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=Device_Settings#CUPS