[Openicc] Printing targets: App or driver ? Profiling RGB or CMYK

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue May 17 19:09:35 PDT 2011

On May 17, 2011, at 8:02 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:

> On Tue, 17 May 2011 20:00:08 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> On May 17, 2011, at 7:54 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
>>> On Tue, 17 May 2011 19:48:30 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>> It sure would be interesting to capture some print jobs and take a
>>> look at them...
>>
>> The printers I use are only connected via Ethernet. I never use the
>> USB interface. That should in some ways be easier with tcpdump, but
>> there might be other network clutter to sort through.
>
> I'd sure be interested in seeing that.

Since I don't have colorant level control with the Epson-Mac OS driver, I can't actually compel it to produce a data stream to the printer calling for the same colorants and amounts as with a deviceN supporting RIP. So presumably what you're looking for is not actual print data, but some indication that the Epson driver is asking for some behavior/mode/whatever that the 3rd party driver is not?

i.e. I can only use a CMYK test file for the RIP using HTM or 3rd party driver. And only an RGB test file for the Epson-Mac OS driver. So already the data streams are different in that regard. But presumably there's something else going on that hypothetically causes the printer to use this extra calibration data. Why they would care that their OS native driver has access to it but RIPs do not seems weird to me. What do they care? Makes their printers look better than the competition in any event if they are more consistent regardless of what's driving them.

Anyway, I have a 3880 here on the network and can either put it on the router DMZ if you want; or can take some pointers on what files to print, and  how to configure tcpdump to capture Epson driver vs 3rd party RIP so you're getting relevant info.