[Openicc] Printing targets: App or driver ? Profiling RGB or CMYK

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed May 18 17:55:47 PDT 2011

On May 18, 2011, at 6:49 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:

> On Wed, 18 May 2011 18:40:37 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> On May 18, 2011, at 6:18 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
>>>
>>> "DeviceN calibration burnt in" that the driver cannot read back makes
>>> no sense *whatsoever*, since the printer isn't receiving data in any
>>> kind of color space, but rather a complete specification of what drops
>>> are printed.
>>
>> Ahhh OK. So then the OEM driver knows how to access this info from
>> the printer each time it produces a print.
>
> *IF* it's even stored in the printer, which we don't actually know.

The factory calibration would have to be in the printer somewhere - printer itself or the ink cartridges in the printer.

>> But in any even ColourBase is UK only, not available in the U.S.
>
> Which makes me suspect that whatever it is isn't stored in the printer
> at all, but on the host.

For ColourBase yes its possible, I have no idea what this beast is or does really. But even if it stores on the host, it would also need to store something on the printer also in order to prevent different workstations from producing different output to the same printer.