[Openicc] cupsICC on remote CUPS servers Part 2

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Thu May 19 06:58:57 PDT 2011

Hello Hal and all,
So far as I understand, we have no possibility to pull the ICC profiles
on a remote CUPS Server, but instead it is widely used, that a PPD is
pulled from the remote CUPS server.

I´m not developer, but I´m working regularly together with developers.
 From this experience, the manipulation of pure ASCII files like a PPD
is not something very complicated.
Is it really a lot of work to create e.g. a basic PPD without color
relevant entries and update the color relevant entries from profile
Divtype metadata, which are installed on on the remote CUPS server ?

Lets assume, that the DictType Metadata in the ICC-profile contains the
qualifiers for cupsICC, and the profiles are already installed in the
correct folder for the cupsICC workflow.

What we would have to do would be mainly:

- Parse all ICC-profiles in CUPS profile directory
- read cupsICC qualifiers and profile filename from every profile
- create PPD entry for color relevant data
- merge color relevenat PPD data with standard PPD data
- let CUPS clients pull the updated PPD

Is this a way could solve the color problems, we have currently with the
remote CUPS print path ?

Best regards
Jan-Peter

--