[Openicc] cupsICC on remote CUPS servers Part 2

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Mon May 23 15:05:22 PDT 2011

edmund ronald wrote:
> I see no reason why we should assume the print server knows about either
> profiles or settings. The print server can be totally dumb, re. ink settings
> all I expect to hear from it is "Yes, Master, I do as Ye command!"

I see very good reasons why the print server should know - they are
device properties and the print server acts as the agent for the
device to any (possibly remote) client using it.

Yes you could hack up a way of placing this information somewhere
else to work around a really dumb print driver/server, but you'd
be better in that case to create server that is aware of
printer settings and behaviour to encapsulate the dumb driver.