[Openicc] _ICC_PROFILE in reality

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu May 26 03:35:25 PDT 2011

On 26 May 2011 11:16, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> Then multi monitor aware clients might then not work. GCM is then
> not compliant to any _ICC_PROFILE in X spec. The XRandR stuff was added in
> version 0.4, which is the actual one.

Are there any multi-monitor aware clients? i.e. anything that actually
is capable of reading _ICC_PROFILE_1?

> You might refere to the server side xinerama. Then thats true and at the
> same time non relevant to clients and normal users. The client side xinerama
> API will stay for a long time.

Right, but how is an application supposed to know what "xinerama
screen" it's on?

> Thats why I think it would be a good thing for Gnome and Linux to fully
> support the _ICC_PROFILE in X spec.

Sure, and I think it's a good idea too, I just don't think
_ICC_PROFILE is powerful enough to get the level of integration we
want.

Richard.