[Openicc] What is exactly needed for color management in a distro?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue May 31 07:29:59 PDT 2011

On 31 May 2011 15:09, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now I see that a lot of color-management-related software is announced on
> this list:
>
> - OpenICC Data package 1.2.0
> - basICColor_Offset_2009 package 1.1.1
> - libXcm-0.4.1
> - Xcm-0.4.0
> - Oyranos Version 0.3.1
> - ICC Examin 0.49
>
> Is also one or another of these packages needed or at least highly
> recommended?

Oyranos is a competing framework to colord. ICC Examin is a profile
viewer like gcm-viewer. libXcm and Xcm and needed for the compiz color
correction server, which also needs Oyranos. OpenICC Data and
basICColor are profile packages a lot like shared-color-profiles but
with slightly different profiles that are not modified from the
pristine sources.

For numerous reasons I've already detailed on this list, I decided not
to fix and extend the Oyranos project and instead to develop GNOME
Color Manager and colord. Oyranos and colord do interoperate on a
superficial level at the moment but they want to fulfill different
use-cases and certainly are written in very different ways.

It's really not for me to convince you what software to install by
default for a specific distro, but for you to try out the different
frameworks yourself and make up your own mind.

If it's a datapoint, GNOME 3.2 will have gnome-settings-daemon talking
to colord by default, gnome-control-center will be used to configure
colord and gnome-color-manager will be a required component of gnome
for calibration. CUPS also registers devices and profiles in colord,
and foomatic and gstoraster already query colord (although you already
know that :-).

colord is already an approved external dependency for GNOME. This
means if a distro is going to ship GNOME 3.2, then it'll also be
shipping colord. Alex is also already building a small configuration
panel for colord in KDE, although I'm not sure how far along he's got
just yet.

Fedora 15 will also have color management as a "Fedora Feature"
showcasing the printer, scanner, display and camera color management.
This will just involve shipping shared-color-profiles, colord, cups,
foomatic and gnome-color-manager on the default CD media.

Richard.