[Openicc] What is exactly needed for color management in a distro?

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue May 31 09:00:33 PDT 2011

Am 31.05.11, 16:38 +0100 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 31 May 2011 16:03, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> That aproach appears very fragile regarding remote
>> colour management among other problems. However, as demonstrated by its
>> author Richard, it is quickly build together in the short run.
>
> It's not fragile, it just doesn't work. By design.
>
> Remote printers should get color correction profiles from remote
> colord instances, not local ones. It's a world of pain to treat remote
> printers as if they are local as you can't access the ppd-referenced
> icc files and settings site-wide defaults is impossible.

One OpenICC GSoC project tries exactly to get the remote use case working.
With the ICC in PDF embedding approach is no need to use custom hooks into
remote printers. We learned that osX does in a similiar way.

>> The Oyranos CMS ... does not try to penetrate the OS in a way...
>
> I guess that's the main difference between Oyranos and colord. At
> least from my point of view, Oyranos wants to be a stand-alone
> project, and colord wants to be entangled in every framework of the
> system as much as possible. Oyranos is thus portable to OSX and

completely agree

> Windows (which I think is useless, as ColorSync and WCS are already
> native frameworks) and colord is restricted to Linux and the BSDs.

ColorSync and WCS are vendor specific because of their mission to support
exclusively one OS. What has free software any reason to follow that?

>> ArgyllCMS, lcms2 and xcalib are really valuable colour management software
>> and the first two certainly the base for Linux colour management.
>
> Argyllcms is a runtime installed dep for gnome-color-manager, which it
> uses PackageKit to do the dirty work. lcms2 is a hard build and run
> time dep for colord, gnome-color-manager and lots of other desktop
> software.

regards