[Openicc] compiz-cms/CompICC [was: What is exactly needed...]

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue May 31 09:37:36 PDT 2011

Am 31.05.11, 18:05 +0200 schrieb Gabriel Ebner:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 5:32 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> oooops.
>> As far as I could check CompICC worked always as expected and correctly.
>> Moreover it is designed to do so.
>> Can you give reasons for that "compicc broke Firefox, Gimp" statement?
>
> compicc performed double color correction on them -- so I've always
> had to disable compicc when using firefox (or the gimp, or geeqie,
> etc.).
>
> In light of what Florian just wrote, I have to say that I have always
> set profiles manually -- would it have worked if I had enabled the
> 'use system profile' setting?  And does compicc remove the

Ah yes, that makes sense. Even though we have the _ICC_PROFILE(_xxx) spec
as a default. Applications specifying the monitor profile despite the
presence of a _ICC_PROFILE(_xxx) are on their own and the situation is
pretty undefined.

> _ICC_PROFILE property for that to work?

Yes. The net-color spec requires the colour server (compiz-cms/CompICC) to
replace the _ICC_PROFILE(_xxx) with sRGB and move the device profile to
_ICC_DEVICE_PROFILE(_xxx). net-color spec aware applications can find the
device profile there and use that together with the opt-out window
regions.