No subject

Tue May 31 09:12:28 PDT 2011

having multiple sets of profiles to be used as default, only for the
power user. For the normal user such a thing would fail hard.

> Apple is offering a solution quite comparable to "g-c-m, colord, GhostScript
> CUPS" since years and it is still a source of big color chaos in the
> printing chain, because they are not able able to to synchronize colorsync
> printer setups and drivers...

Right, I'm not too familiar with OSX, but I understand some of the
issues people are having.

> My personal preferred solution for solving the synchronization issue would
> be to integrate the driver settings as dictType Metadata into the printer
> profile and to embedd the printer profile in the output from gstoraster.
> This would allow the driver (e.g. rastertogutenprint) to extract the
> setttings from the embedded ICC profile from the output of gstoraster.

Well, I've recently added the DICT support into colord, the very day
that Marti Maria added support to lcms2 ;-) -- I think using DICT we
can make a lot of the problems with device and profile association
just go away. I can tag a profile as being suitable for a particular
device class, and even add metadata to it later to modify the printing
options if desired.

> Every setup for different media and resolution/quality needs and independent
> CUPS queue for the same printer.

No, not at all. colord uses the same scheme as ColorSync, in that the
qualifier (ColorSync calls it a "selector", iirc) can modify the
profile retrieved from colord. In this way I can say to colord "use
the profile hp-photosmart-gloss.icc for rgb.Glossy.*" and use a
different profile if I'm printing with plain paper. In this way, the
only thing the user has to change in the printing GUI is the
resolution and the paper type, which all GUIs can currently do. I
think it makes a lot of sense to _show_ the user what profile is going
to be used as a label, rather than as a combobox just so they are
aware on what profile would be chosen for the options they have
selected. This is what I'm hoping to add to the GTK print dialog for
3.2.

If you like, I can set up a conf-call for anyone that missed LGM and I
can present an "introduction to colord" with more of the geeky details
left in.

Richard.